Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Early look at the underpaid football players

The NCAA should cut the players in on the giant money pie the oligarchy stuffs itself with. Greedy jerks! I can't see how allowing a bunch of undereducated, high testosterone guys who've been puffed up their whole lives and are surrounded by people who never tell them no and let them define their self worth purely by their value as athletes in on straight cash payments could lead to any problems, could it?

Well here's the beginning of the week line peeks. I am taking the team I show points on. A disturbing number of road teams this week.

VaTech +2.5 @ GaTech

Wake -1 @ UVa

Iowa +1 @ NW

TT -21 @ Baylor - It could be -35 and I might still not take the Bearlies. If I coached for this team I might pee on the bar too.

Texas @ OSU +3 - OSU plays tough at home, and Texas just does not impress.

Mizzou -4 @ Col

Rutgers +3 @ UConn - UConn is a lot of bad calls, some cheating, and a lot of rain and mud away form having 3 more losses. I may be making this pick b/c I still sting over Rutgers beating USF and b/c I really, really hate cheating UConn. Be warned.

Tulsa -6.5 @ - Tulane The Green Wave is 1-4 at home. And they're called the Green. Wave. Enough.

FSU @ BC -6.5 - FSU = poo. BC is at home. Does anyone think FSU is anywhere close to as good as VaTech at home? What was the score in that game? And now BC is at home.

A&M @ OU - 21 I am a little leery of this line, given the Aggies' habit of holding the ball for a long time. Let's bear in mind 2 historical facts that are on point here: first, Coach Fran's comfort with The Suck. Fran comforts the Suck, and takes it with him whenever he coaches. Point #2 is the history of angry revenge blowouts these teams have. Adding in McGee being slightly dinged up, the Ags' total lack of defense vs. the forward pass, and this smells like a lock.

What do you think? What picks are crazy, and which are brilliant? Do you have a great pick I missed?

10 comments:

Japsican said...

Can't tell which teams you are taking in the games where you don't comment.

I like:

Clemson -15.5 at Duke
Michigan -4 at MSU (Iowa plays NU)

Priapism Pickem Party said...

You always like Clemson. That looks like a good pick, Duke ain't exactly scoring a lot.

Thanks for the corrections. Typos fixed!

Bo Diddly said...

The unpredictability of college football is what makes it 100 times better than the NFL. Bigger plays, more trickery, and less whining (except by Oklahoma coaches).

Priapism Pickem Party said...

I need a little help there Bo; when did the OU coaches whine?

I will agree with you that college ball is 100x better than the League!

Bo Diddly said...

I was just talking generally about the coaches in the state of Oklahoma. But to qualify what I mean, Stoops is always crying about something (on-side kicks, 'bad' calls, etc) and I'm sure you've seen all the press Mike Gundy has gotten over his press conference outburst. They need to stop whining and just play ball.

Priapism Pickem Party said...

Stoops was right about the onside vs Oregon, I think that's pretty universally accepted.

And Gundy was so funny he's allowed an exception; trashing reporters is always quality entertainment.

Glad to have you Bo, how did you find us?

Bo Diddly said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bo Diddly said...

Let's just say I am a friend of smiley sac's.

Towelie said...

HAHA smiley sack... Wish I would have saved that one for posterity... I can't figure out if that one or the bullsack is better.

Bo Diddly said...

I liked smiley sack better because it felt more personal (staring back at you)... bull sack was just asking for a swift, accurate kick.